Brownies and ice cream are indeed a match made in heaven! Brownies are by far, a dessert that’s among the favorites of many people. The dark fudgy texture of a brownie with a slight crackle on top makes the perfect brownie. But when a brownie is combined with ice cream it takes this dessert to a next level. Ice cream bars are a delicious treat since they come in a sandwich ice cream form. Finding ice cream bars at the supermarket is quite easy, but if you are following a strict keto diet, it might become difficult. This is why this keto ice cream bar recipe is the way to go. It has the flavors of chocolate ice cream and brownie mixture without any work. With just a few ingredients, you can turn your keto diet into something fun by rewarding yourself with this delectable treat. This keto ice cream bar recipe is perfect after a workout or even as a regular snack in the day. You can decorate the sides with whatever chocolate or sprinkles you like!
Keto Brownie Part
Let’s talk a bit about the main recipe constituent which is the brownie. I don’t know about you, but for me, one of my favorite things before starting a keto diet was all the sweets I had to leave behind. It became really hard to keep up with the demands of my diet and push aside the things I love the most. A keto diet consists of a diet that is low in carbohydrates but high in protein. The trend of keeping a keto diet is increasing readily since it is a healthy and popular way of decreasing weight.
If you are a keto, then you know that sugar is a no-go. The Keto diet requires ultra-restrictive diet calls for slashing your daily carb intake to under 50 g a day. This is why I really missed not having sugar in my coffee or treats because it didn’t taste the same anymore. Finding a keto-friendly brownie in the market today is quite hard because most people Can’t think of consuming sugar at all in their keto diet. This is why it is required for you to go with a sugar alternative that is low-carb and keto-friendly instead.
Ingredients Notes and Equipment
- Allulose Sweetener – Now you must be wondering how you make brownies without any sugar because most baking products contain excessive amounts of sugar and it’s almost impossible to imagine them without it. This is why the brownies in our keto ice cream bars contain allulose as a sweetener instead of normal sugar. Allulose is a popular component used for keto recipes that require sweetening. It is a naturally occurring sugar that is found in figs, and raisins with maple syrup and molasses. It is sweet just like table sugar but is low in calories and is counted to have 4 cal per gram of the sweetener (According to the FDA). Allulose is a rare sugar because it is present in only a few foods, but is commercially produced for ketogenic people. This is because allulose passes through our body, it doesn’t increase your blood sugar or insulin. When you calculate the net carbs in your keto diet, allulose is subtracted from the total carbohydrates, since it is not metabolized (International Food Information Council)
- 9-inch square trays – identical 9 in.² trays are a necessity for even thickness and nicely cut brownies. I like using a pyrex dish since it allows the brownies to not cook too quickly on the bottom.
- Keto ice cream – just like an ice cream sandwich, you need ice cream to put between the ice cream bar. Since the brownie is a chewy, fudgy texture, a nice, creamy soft ice cream in the center makes it a perfect ice cream bar. You can easily find store-bought keto ice cream in different flavors. I like to use chocolate or vanilla since it complements the dark fudgy brownie layers. If you like, you can even make keto ice cream at home.
Steps To Make Keto Ice Cream Bars
Brownie Batter mold prep
For the brownie batter, you will require two identical square-shaped molds that are oven friendly. The reason why they’re identical is required is because you will need to stack them on one another like a sandwich. Like any other baked item, it is a good idea to line the baking tray with parchment paper and cooking spray to ensure that the brownie doesn’t stick to the tray. You can use Pyrex dishes or baking tins. It is also important that you use a 9 in.² tin. Nothing bigger and nothing smaller since that will disrupt the thickness and amount of the brownie batter.
Brownie Batter Making
The next step is making the brownie batter for the ice cream bars. It is important that you use room-temperature butter, which is slightly softened for an easy beating. It is also a good idea to melt the keto chocolate in intervals to prevent it from burning in the microwave. Once you add the eggs to the butter and chocolate, it is a good technique to beat the batter until it’s light and color, and fluffy. The excessive beating allows you to get a fudgy consistency on the inside and a signature- brownie crackle on the top!
Once all the wet ingredients have been incorporated, take a separate bowl and mix all of the dry ingredients into it. By doing this, you ensure that the dry ingredients are evenly distributed within the dry mixture. This also prevents you from overmixing dry ingredients into the wet mixture and forming a cake-like consistency instead. You can go ahead and transfer the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. By adding segments of the dry ingredients into the batter. Use a spatula to lightly mix the batter. Do not overmix.
Now, you can go ahead and transfer the brownie batter evenly into two lined 9-inch squared pans. If you want the brownies to be dense and fudgy, add a second sheet of parchment paper over the batter before transferring it into the oven. This also enables even cooking throughout the brownie. Once the brownies have evenly baked, leave them on a rack to cool down. After 10 minutes, take them out of their pan and leave them in the fridge for an hour before adding the filling to them.
Keto Ice Cream Filling
For the filling use, homemade or store-bought Keto-friendly ice cream. If you want to make that ice cream at home, you can make it with four ingredients. This includes 2 cups of canned coconut milk, 1/3 cup of a sweetener of your choice, ⅛ teaspoon of salt, and vanilla extract. Making the ice cream at home, will increase the working time for this recipe. Whatever keto ice cream you use will require you to let it soften for easy use.
Keto Ice Cream Bar Assembling
Once it does, you can add the spreadable consistency to the first layer of brownie in the tin and stack the next layer on top. It’s advised to keep this ice cream bar in the freezer for a couple of hours before cutting it into slabs. You can use various toppings such as caramel, chocolate sauce, sprinkles, chocolate chips, et cetera for decoration.
- It is a good idea to let the ice cream soften before adding it to the brownie layer since a hard consistency of ice cream can easily break the soft brownie and it would be hard to tackle and won’t spread evenly either.
- Make sure that the brownie has completely cooled down before adding the ice cream layer. It is even better if you let the desert freeze overnight after assembling it to ensure the perfect and neat cut.
- For toppings, you can use chocolate chips or chocolate syrup. Once you cut the ice cream bars, you can add sprinkles or any other toppings such as cookie crumbs to the side where the ice cream is. You can even dip the entire ice cream bar in melted chocolate or drizzle on top.
- To make them fun, you can also create shapes for the ice cream bars by pressing cookie cutters into the frozen bar
- If you want to store the ice cream bars, in the future, you can freeze them in airtight bags. For a picnic, it is recommended that you store them in Buffalo Vacuum sealed thermal food containers.
Is the recipe really keto-friendly?
The recipe is indeed keto friendly because it is made from allulose instead of normal sugar. Allulose cuts down on carbohydrates, unlike normal sugar. The ingredients in the recipe include keto ice cream which is high in dark cocoa powder and milk fat content. Fats are ideal for a keto-friendly diet. The ice cream constitutes most of the fat in the ice cream bars and the cocoa powder adds to it.
Is keto ice cream readily available at the supermarket?
Along with regular dairy ice creams, you can find keto ice cream at your local supermarket. Some keto ice cream brands include Halo top keto series, Keto pint, Enlightened keto ice cream, and Rebel creamery.
For a keto diet, How many servings are okay?
If you cut the ice cream into nine even bars, it is suggested that you eat one to two as you can take only 50 g of carbohydrates in your keto diet per day. In this way, each ice cream bar will contain 3 g of net carbohydrates per serving.