If you love ice cream then you have probably noticed Blue Bunny Ice Cream before, but what is their brand really all about? Explore everything creamy chilled with this in-depth look at Blue Bunny Ice Cream. Find out who makes them, what flavors and styles they offer, and how they stack up as a delicious dairy dessert!
Who Makes Blue Bunny Ice Cream?
Blue Bunny has been making and selling delicious dairy drinks and treats for over a century. Blue Bunny Ice Cream was founded by a pair of brothers in Iowa in 1913. The Wells brothers founded the ice cream company with the mission of delivering sweet and fun treats to their neighbors and eventually the world!
To this day Blue Bunny Ice Cream is owned and operated by Wells Enterprises and they make frozen treats in LeMars, Iowa. Their CEO is even still a member of the Wells family carrying on the family legacy of ice cream making, but bigger than ever before!
Wells Enterprises, the maker of Blue Bunny, is the second-largest ice cream maker in the United States. So today you can find their chilly treats far beyond their home state of Iowa.
Blue Bunny Ice Cream Flavors
One amazing thing about Blue Bunny Ice Cream is how many choices they offer. Their flavors run the gamut from light and fruity to bold and chocolatey. With Blue Bunny Ice Cream you can be sure that you will find your favorite flavor!
Blue Bunny Ice Cream offers “scoopable” ice cream in two forms: regular and their new softer style ice cream. Whether you like soft or classic, they have all the traditional ice cream flavors, like chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, mint chocolate chip, butter pecan, and cookies & cream. But they also take it further with fun flavors!
Here are some of Blue Bunny’s most deliciously creative ice cream flavors:
- Stuffed Puff Marshmallow Birthday Cake – This wonderful flavor collab fuses cake batter ice cream with swirls of marshmallow, yellow cake, and sprinkles. (Available at Walmart only.)
- Stuffed Puff Marshmallow S’mores – A luscious combination of marshmallow ice cream, marshmallow swirl, and sandwich cookies. (Available at Walmart only.)
- Stuffed Puff Marshmallow Cookies ‘N Cream – Everyone’s favorite campfire treat turned into marshmallow ice cream with a fudge swirl, graham crackers, and chocolate pieces. (Available at Walmart only.)
- Banana Split – This ice cream shop inspired treat features banana ice cream, swirls of fudge, strawberry, pineapple, and nuts.
- Bunny Tracks and Chocolate Bunny Tracks – These two flavors are popular with everyone! Bunny tracks is vanilla ice cream with chocolate peanut butter bunnies, chocolate-covered peanuts, caramel, and fudge swirls. The chocolate rendition just swaps the vanilla ice cream for a rich chocolate flavor to make a decadent dairy dessert!
- Caramel Butter Pecan Praline – To make this tasty update the classic Blue Bunny melds the flavors of butter pecan ice cream with caramel swirls and praline pecans.
- Cherrific Cheesecake – This fruity favorite fuses the flavor of cheesecake ice cream with cherry and graham swirls.
- Cherry Chocolate Swirl – For fruit lovers, Blue Bunny makes this cherry ice cream with cherry chunks and dark chocolate flakes.
- Cookies, Candies, Brownies – If you can’t pick your favorite treat. This flavor has your back with cookie dough ice cream, chocolate chips, brownies, cookie dough, and swirls of fudge and caramel.
- Peanut Butter Party – This flavor is a delicious blend of peanut butter ice cream, peanut butter cups, and swirls of peanut butter and fudge.
- Pistachio Almond – This simple but delicious ice cream flavor combines pistachio and almonds in perfect proportions!
- Salted Caramel Craze – In this flavor salted caramel ice cream meets swirls of sea salt caramel and chocolate sea salt caramel bunnies to make a sweet and salty delight!
- Vanilla Fudge Blast – This layered flavor blends vanilla ice cream with fudge bits, fudge bunnies, and a fudge swirl.
Blue Bunny also offers a wide range of health-conscious flavor choices with their frozen yogurt flavors and their Sweet Freedom line of scoopable ice cream.
Blue Bunny’s Sweet Freedom ice creams have no added sugars and are lower in fat and their Frozen Yogurts are a light and tasty choice!
Blue Bunny Ice Cream Sandwich
Blue Bunny’s ice cream portfolio is wide. They don’t just make scoopable dairy desserts, they also make a ton of delicious ice cream novelties and treats. One of their most popular ice cream treats is the Blue Bunny Ice Cream Sandwich.
This simple yet sensational frozen treat has helped to put Blue Bunny on the map. They make a delicious variety of ice cream sandwiches from classically simple to crazy and over-the-top delicious!
Here is a list of Blue Bunny’s delightful ice cream sandwich selection:
- Blue Bunny’s Big Bopper – This iconic ice cream sandwich is a simple marriage of two chocolate chip cookies and tons of vanilla ice cream!
- Double Strawberry Sandwich – This delicious ice cream sandwich uses two vanilla wafers to sandwich strawberry ice cream with a luscious strawberry swirl.
- Mississippi Mud Sandwich – This chocolate lover’s dream is made with chocolate ice cream swirled with fudge sauce sandwiched between two chocolate wafers.
- Chips Galore – Much like Blue Bunny’s Big Bopper, this chip-which-style treat has two chocolate chip cookies and vanilla ice cream, but it takes it further with extra chocolate chips studding the outside.
- Chocolate Lovers – This decadent delight has two chocolate wafers holding in chocolate ice cream with swirls of fudge sauce. It’s a rich dairy dessert!
- Cookies ‘N Cream – If you love sandwich cookies this is your frozen dessert! It has two giant chocolate sandwich cookies holding an epic portion of cookies ‘n cream ice cream!
- Neapolitan Sandwich – This classic fan-favorite frozen dessert is made with two chocolate wafers sandwiching vanilla, strawberry, and chocolate ice creams.
- Simply Vanilla Sandwich – This chocolate wafer-style ice cream sandwich is filled simply but deliciously with vanilla ice cream.
Blue Bunny Ice Cream Cones
Everyone loves an ice cream cone and Blue Bunny has some truly delicious cones! They make a great selection of classic ice cream treats and awesome new updates all in sugary cones!
Some of the best Blue Bunny Ice Cream Cones Include:
- Twist Cones – These classic cones twist together flavors like mint chocolate and chocolate caramel inside a delicious sugar cone.
- Brownie Sundae – This super-sized frozen treat uses brownie ice cream with caramel sauce, brownie batter, and brownie chunks in a sugar cone.
- Bunny Tracks – This features vanilla ice cream with fudge and caramel sauces, peanut butter-filled bunnies, fudge sauce, and peanut on a sugar cone.
- Brownie Bomb – This fully loaded cone has chocolate ice cream with brownie pieces, fudge swirls, fudge-filled bunnies, and chocolate topping in a chocolate cone.
- Salted Caramel Pecan – This rich and nutty sugar cone has vanilla ice cream with swirls of fudge and caramel, salted caramel chocolate bunnies, pecans, chocolate topping, and whipped cream.
- Strawberry Shortcake – This fruity cone features strawberry ice cream with shortcake, a swirl of strawberry, and whipped cream inside a sugar cone.
Blue Bunny Ice Cream Bars
The amazing flavors keep coming with Blue Bunny’s signature Ice Cream Bars! They pull out all the stops with these treats, they even offer an epic line of Blue Bunny Loaded Ice Cream Bars!
Some of Blue Bunny’s amazing ice cream bar flavors include:
- Chocolate Cookie Crumble – This is one of Blue Bunny’s mini bar flavors and it has chocolate ice cream swirled with fudge and dipped in a layer of milk chocolate and chocolate cookie pieces.
- Strawberry Shortcake – Another delectable mini-bar, this treat has strawberry ice cream, swirled with strawberry sauce, and dipped in a layer of white chocolate and crunchy shortcake.
- Cookie Dough – This Load’d Bar has cookie dough ice cream, fudge swirls, and cookie dough pieces topped with fudge sauce and then dipped in milk chocolate and crunchy cookies.
- Super Fudge Brownie – For chocoholics, this Blue Bunny Load’d Bar has chocolate ice cream, fudge swirls, and brownies bits topped with fudge and then dipped in milk chocolate and crunchy chocolate cookies.
Blue Bunny Sundaes
There is nothing quite as satisfying as sinking your spoon into a great ice cream sundae! Thanks to Blue Bunny, you can have a sundae without any extra steps with their fully assembled frozen sundae treats. They have all the flavors of your favorite ice cream shop treat in a convenient on-the-go package!
Some of Blue Bunny’s best sundae flavors include:
- Cake Obsession – This sundae has vanilla ice cream, swirls of chocolate icing, chocolate cake chunks, chocolate-covered cookies, sprinkles, and fudge bunnies.
- Monster Cookie – For milk and cookies lovers, this sundae blends oatmeal ice cream, a swirl of chocolate peanut butter, monster cookie dough, candies, and chocolate peanut butter bunnies.
- Turtle Cheesecake – This classically flavored sundae has cheesecake ice cream, swirls of caramel and fudge, cheesecake chunks, chocolate pecans, and chocolate sea salt caramel bunnies.
Blue Bunny Mini Swirls
For anyone who likes a smaller treat, Blue Bunny has crafted their mini swirls. They’re just right for little ones or a small sweet craving!
The Blue Bunny Mini Swirls include:
- Caramel – These bite-sized desserts have vanilla ice cream with a swirl of caramel dipped in chocolate in a mini sugar cone.
- Cookies ‘N Cream – These little cuties have a chocolate cone filled with sweet cream ice cream with a swirl of fudge dipped in white chocolate and chocolate cookie pieces.
- Mint Cookie Crunch – This fresh mini has mint ice cream and a fudge swirl dipped inside a chocolate-dipped cone topped with mint candy pieces.
- Strawberry Shortcake – This little sweetie has a shortbread cone filled with strawberry ice cream and a swirl of strawberry all dipped in whipped cream and topped with cake pieces.
Blue Bunny Ice Cream Ingredients
Technically, all of Blue Bunny’s “ice creams” are actually frozen dairy desserts. Their textures and flavors are virtually the same as traditional ice cream; however, their ingredients require them to use a different label.
The main ingredient that makes Blue Bunny use the term “frozen dairy dessert” on their label instead of “ice cream” is vegetable oil. Often desserts that are fortified with this fat will carry the label of “frozen dairy dessert” instead of ”ice cream.”
The base flavor of most Blue Bunny frozen treats starts with these ingredients:
- Skim Milk
- Coconut Oil
Each flavor will contain additional add-ins to make it unique, these ingredients form the basis of most of their treats.
Blue Bunny Ice Cream Nutrition Information
Every one of Blue Bunny’s unique flavors and dairy treats will have its own specific nutrition profile; however, there are some trends across their treats.
Blue Bunny ice creams tend to be rich in carbs, calories, and fat. The dairy desserts do have some vitamins and minerals because of the rich dairy in their recipe. Blue Bunny has calcium, potassium, vitamins, and more.
Overall, Blue Bunny Ice Cream should be enjoyed as a treat or sometimes indulgence. They do not have a significant nutritional value.
Does Blue Bunny Make Blue Ribbon Ice Cream?
Blue Bunny is a division of Wells Enterprises. This frozen titan makes treats of all varieties under their manufacturing umbrella. Wells owns such iconic labels as Blue Bunny, Halo Top, and Blue Ribbon Classics.
That means Blue Ribbon Ice Cream is a separate division of Wells. It is not officially made by Blue Bunny but rather exists alongside it.
Is Blue Bunny Ice Cream Vegetarian?
Blue Bunny Ice Cream offers a wide range of frozen desserts and they are all suitable for vegetarians! The entire Blue Bunny line is safe for vegetarians to eat without worries. However, Blue Bunny does not offer any vegan-friendly treats at this time.
Is Blue Bunny Ice Cream Gluten-Free?
Unfortunately for gluten-sensitive eaters, Blue Bunny Ice Cream does not bear the label “gluten-free.” Their company’s website states that they do not presently certify their products as “gluten-free.”
So for now, celiac sufferers and other gluten-conscious eaters may want to avoid this brand.
Where To Buy Blue Bunny Ice Cream?
When the craving for ice cream hits you just have to have it! Fortunately, Blue Bunny Ice Cream is very easy to find! They are in stores, gas stations, and even ice cream trucks nationwide!
Look for Blue Bunny ice cream and other frozen desserts at your local grocery store. Most major grocery retailers carry Blue Bunny, including Target, Walmart, Kroger, and more! You can also find Blue Bunny at some online retailers, including on their own website and a selection of products on Amazon.
If you ever find yourself in LeMars, Iowa you can even visit the Wells Visitor Center and Ice Cream Parlor. There you can sample Blue Bunny’s tasty treats right from the source!
If you want to find out who sells Blue Bunny Ice Cream near you, try the helpful store locator on their website here.
With so many delicious flavor options and such a positive history as a family-run American business, it’s hard not to like Blue Bunny Ice Cream. They have a wide range of flavors and styles of frozen desserts to please practically everyone.
Blue Bunny shines especially bright with their frozen novelties, like their sandwiches, cones, and sundaes. They have a mastery of fast and fun frozen treats that puts them at the top of the grab-and-go ice cream game.
The biggest downfall of this brand is its attention to changing customers. They do not presently offer any dairy-free frozen desserts and they cannot certify their products as gluten-free or allergen-free at present. This feels a little tone-deaf in a world full of so many different diets and allergies.
Overall, if you love classic ice cream flavors and fun frozen novelties, Blue Bunny is a great choice.